Forsyth Park is a large city park that occupies 30 acres in the historic district of Savannah, Georgia. The park is bordered by Gaston Street on the North, Drayton Street on the East, Park Avenue on the South and Whitaker Street on the West. It contains walking paths, a café, a children's play area, Fragrant Garden for the blind, a large fountain, tennis courts, basketball courts, and areas for soccer and other sport. From time to time, there are concerts held at the park for the benefit of the public. Standing in the middle of Forsyth Park with the pathway wrapping around it lies the park’s famous Confederate Memorial Statue. The fountain at the north end of the park was added in 1858 and is reminiscent of fountains in the Place de la Concorde in Paris and in Cuzco, Peru.
Savannah Historic District
The Savannah Historic District is a large urban area that roughly corresponds to the city limits of Savannah, Georgia, prior to the American Civil War. The area was declared a National Historic Landmark District in 1966, and is one of the largest districts of its kind in the United States. Each year, the Savannah Historic District attracts millions of visitors, who enjoy its eighteenth- and nineteenth-century architecture and green spaces. The district includes the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America), the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences (one of the South's first public museums), the First African Baptist Church (one of the oldest African American Baptist congregations in the United States), Temple Mickve Israel (the third-oldest synagogue in America), the Central of Georgia Railway roundhouse complex (the oldest standing antebellum rail facility in America), the old Colonial Cemetery, Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, and Old Harbor Light.
Wormsloe Historic Site
The Wormsloe Historic Site, informally known as Wormsloe Plantation, is a state historic site near Savannah. The site consists of 822 acres protecting part of what was once the Wormsloe Plantation, a large estate established by one of Georgia's colonial founders, Noble Jones (c. 1700-1775). The site includes a picturesque 1.5-mile oak avenue, the ruins of Jones' fortified house built of tabby, a museum, and a demonstration area interpreting colonial daily life. Noble Jones’ fortified house was part of a network of defensive structures established by James Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, and early Georgia colonists to protect Savannah from a potential Spanish invasion. Jones subsequently developed Wormsloe into a small plantation, and his descendants built a large mansion at the site which they used as a country residence. The State of Georgia acquired the bulk of the Wormsloe Plantation in 1973 and opened it to the public as a state historic site in 1979.
Roundhouse Railroad Museum
The Georgia State Railroad Museum is located at the Savannah Shops Complex of the Central of Georgia Railway. The complex is considered the most complete antebellum railroad complex in the United States. The museum, located at 655 Louisville Road, is part of a historic district included in the National Register of Historic Places. The historic railroad structures at the site include a partial roundhouse with operating turntable, partial machine shop, tender frame shop, blacksmith shop, boiler house, storehouse and print shop, lumber and planning sheds, coach and paint shops, and a partial carpentry shop which now houses Savannah Children's Museum. Many of these structures are open for visitors to explore.
Ossabaw Island is one of the Sea Islands located on the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Georgia, approximately twenty miles by water south of downtown Savannah. One of the largest of Georgia's barrier islands, Ossabaw contains 9,000 acres of wooded uplands with freshwater ponds and 16,000 acres of marshlands interlaced with tidal creeks. Located between Wassaw Island and the Ogeechee River on the north and St. Catherine’s Island on the south, the island is not linked to the mainland by bridge or causeway. At 26,000 acres, it is the second largest barrier island off the coast of Georgia.
Fort James Jackson
Old Fort Jackson (also known as Fort Jackson or Fort James Jackson) is a restored 19th century fort located two miles east of Savannah on the Savannah River. It is a National Historic Landmark and the oldest standing brick fort in Georgia. U.S. President Thomas Jefferson authorized the construction of a national defense system of fortifications to defend his new nation. Jefferson's system included Fort Jackson, constructed between 1808 and 1812 over an old earthen battery from the American Revolution. In the War of 1812, local militias and U.S. troops saw active duty at Fort Jackson. After the War of 1812, two periods of construction followed at the fort. A moat, drawbridge, brick barracks, privies, a rear wall, and another powder magazine were added.
Tybee Island Light
Tybee Island Light is a lighthouse next to the Savannah River Entrance on the northeast end of Tybee Island, Georgia. It is one of seven surviving colonial era lighthouse towers, though highly modified in the mid-1800s.The beacon is still a functioning navigational aid, still using its original lens. The site is open to the public and retains its keepers’ houses and auxiliary buildings as well as the lighthouse tower.