A 2-day intensive course on business continuity and scenario planning focused on the banking/ financial institution environment with a view to provide banking professionals with a firm foundation of the standards of best practices in the critical area of business continuity planning.
The Basel Accords have raised the profile of operational risk. There are a range of challenges within the accords where financial service firms need to consider a wide range of complex issues including events that have not happened yet. One of the most crucial objectives of management is to learn how to deal with the new requirements with regard to business continuity planning.
Business continuity planning is the process through which an organization ensures the maintenance or recovery of operations, including services to customers, when faced with disruptive events such as natural disasters, technological failures, human error or terrorism.
This course includes 3 detailed business continuity case studies and an interactive section on developing effective scenarios.
Business continuity is an ongoing priority for financial industry participants. Acts of terrorism over the past decade in New York, London, Istanbul, Madrid and elsewhere, outbreaks of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and the Avian Flu, and various widespread natural disasters such as the 2011 Japanese Earthquake, Tsunami & Nuclear Power Plant Failure, the 2004 Asian Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, have served to heighten that priority by underlining the substantial risk of major operational disruptions to the financial system.
Financial authorities and financial industry participants have a shared interest in promoting the toughness of the financial system to major operational disruptions. This interest is the result of many factors, including:
- The vital role that financial intermediation plays in facilitating and promoting national and global economic activity by providing the means for making and receiving payments, for borrowing and lending, for effecting transactions, for insuring risks, and for raising capital and promoting investment
- The increasing complexity and operational risk across financial systems.
- The concentration of clearing and settlement processes in most financial systems.
- Deepening interdependencies among financial industry participants within and across jurisdictions.
- The recurring pattern of natural disasters or extreme weather conditions.
- The possibility of terrorist or other malicious attacks targeted, directly or indirectly, at the infrastructure of the financial system.
- A strong interest in maintaining public confidence in financial systems.
The objectives of this course is to provide professionals in the banking and financial sector with a sound foundation in the area of business.
Participants will be able to identify potential risks and their impact as well as to prepare and implement action plans dealing with the business continuity recovery process in their own institutions as well. A key tool in this process is scenario planning.
Who Should Attend?:
This course intended for executive management, senior personnel and operational staff who are responsible to ensure that business continues in their respective business unit/division/branch/industry infrastructure in the event of any emergency, unexpected or extensive disruptive circumstances. Some of the positions that will benefit include:
- Operations Managers
- Risk Managers
- Internal Auditors
- Business Continuity Practitioners
This is a highly interactive course comprised of PowerPoint presentations, case studies, multidirectional discussions and exercises.
We are registered with and adhere to the Statement on Standards for Continuing Professional Education programs of the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. Our registration number is 109066. Please check with the governing body of your license and state for specific CPE requirements. Grievances may be forwarded to the company at 650 620 3961. Grievances may also be forwarded to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors-NASBA, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417, 615-880-4200, www.learningmarket.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field of Study:
- Management Advisory Services: 7 CPE Credits
- Economics: 2 CPE Credits
- Auditing: 1 CPE Credit
- Business Management and Organization: 1 CPE Credit
- Computer Science: 1 CPE Credit
- Production: 1 CPE Credit
- Regulatory Ethics: 1 CPE Credit
- Specialized Knowledge and Applications: 1 CPE Credit
- Statistics: 1 CPE Credit
- Social Environment of Business: 0.5 CPE Credit
- Total CPE credits earned in this seminar: 16.5 CPE Credits
Program Delivery Method: Group-Live
Program Level: Basic
Advance Preparation/Program Prerequisites: None