It’s never been more challenging to find and hire the right people. Employers are not just concerned about getting the right fit, but also about legal regulations, discrimination, privacy concerns and limited budgets. Without exercising due diligence in hiring, employers risk mistakes that can result in legal and financial nightmares including workplace violence, unqualified employees, and theft and litigation for negligent hiring. Similarly, failure to follow legally complaint hiring practices can result in regulatory actions and class action lawsuits.
Employers that operate in California need to be concerned with not only federal laws, but also a host of “only in California” laws as well. The program will cover both compliance with federal laws, such as the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the ADA and Equal Employment rules, and other numerous state laws that differ in significant ways from both federal laws and the state rules in the other 49 states.
In this interactive two day live seminar, attendees will be given a platform to arm themselves with cutting edge tools, the latest legal developments, and practical advice on the challenges of recruiting, background screening and hiring the best people for your organization. Some of the key topics that will be covered during the two day session include:
- Job description (and how to use it even after hiring)
- Best practices in recruiting
- Creating a hiring process that is not only effective, but saves time, money and reduces legal exposure
- The effective use of employment applications
- The interview – what not to ask, what to ask, and how to find out what you really need to know
- Checking references – getting past name, rank and serial number
- Background checks – why you can’t afford to avoid them
- The legal and effective use of criminal records in the hiring process
- Discrimination in hiring – complying with EEOC requirements and Ban the Box
- Understanding the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) as well as a numerous other state and federal laws and regulations
- Avoiding the most common mistakes that get employers sued
- The ins and outs of other due diligence tools, including social media searches, credit reports, E-Verify and drug testing
- International background checks
- How to select a background firm and audit your current screening practices
- Post-hiring duties and best practices
- Evaluate alternatives to hiring a regular employee.
- Why is the job description key?
- How to identify your needs and prepare job descriptions.
- Advertising and recruiting – legal, effective and innovative techniques to find the best.
- Collect and screen applications.
- Legal considerations when recruiting and hiring, including at-will employment, the ADA and discrimination.
- Learn why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers.
- Understand the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work.
- Get acquainted with best practices and cutting edge issues such as the new EEOC focus on criminal records and credit reports and the use of social network sites.
- Learn why knowledge of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act and similar state laws is critical in the hiring process.
- Learn the four basic steps needed for compliance with the FCRA.
- Understand how the FCRA protects consumers and what an employer must do when a consumer disputes a background report.
- Learn how to spot fraudulent employment and education credentials.
- Get updated on the latest best practices and new technologies.
- Learn steps your organization can take today to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employee.
- Learn why employers, human resources, and recruiters use search engines and social network sites to screen candidates.
- Review what sites are available and what you may find.
- What are the risks in using these sites?
- Isn’t everything on the web fair game since privacy is waived once someone places something on the internet?
- How do discrimination laws and rules concerning off-duty conduct apply when using the internet?
- Understand how EEOC considerations impact screening tools such as credit reports, criminal records and social network sites.
- Learn how the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act and similar state laws impacts hiring.
- Review the elements and defenses to negligent hiring lawsuits.
- Understand the dangers of using social media sites to select or recruit applicant.
- Audit your current hiring and screening practices for legal compliance.
- Learn effective and legal strategies to verify an applicant’s past employment and education accomplishments.
- Explore why employment references create legal issues for employers and strategies for obtaining information and dealing with requests from other employers.
- Learn why phony education credentials are problematic and how to spot degree mills.
- Learn why international background checks are becoming mission critical for employers.
- Understand the challenges and availability of international background checks including international criminal records, as well as employment and education verification.
- Learn why employers cannot simply rely upon the issuance of a visa as proof an applicant has the credentials claimed.
- Learn the legal and privacy aspects of checking international criminal records and credentials.
- Introduction to onboarding and retention.
Who Will Benefit:
- Employment Managers
- Employee Relations Professionals
- Chief Talent Officers
- HR Coordinators/Supervisors
- Vice Presidents
- HR Administrators, Managers and Team Leads
- Hiring Consultancies
- Organizational Strategy Leaders
- Business Owners
- Event Managers/ Management Consulting
- Public Agency Managers
- Risk, Audit and Compliance Personnel
- Internal and External Auditors
- Venture Capitalists
- Merger and Acquisition Specialists