If an internal audit is to assess the effectiveness of the organization’s risk management program, every member of the audit team has to understand the underlying principles.
This two-day course on ERM will introduce internal auditors to the principles and practices of risk management. It is a course for all types of organizations, whether public or private, and in all sectors and industries.
This course will focus on the ISO 31000:2009 global risk management standard. It will also cover some of the principles behind the alternative COSO Enterprise Risk Management – Integrated Framework. This will enable auditors from organizations who have adopted COSO rather than ISO to assess the effectiveness of their risk management program.
This ERM course will:
- Discuss each of the ISO 31000:2009 principles and how they may be achieved.
- Review the essential elements of a risk management program: the framework and process.
- Discuss the issue of risk appetite (a COSO term) and risk criteria (the ISO term): what is needed for this to be effective for an organization.
- Discuss several tools for assessing the maturity of risk management, with increasing levels of detailed guidance.
- Address the issue of how internal audit can contribute – whether through consulting or assurance engagements.
The course will spend quality time considering how the assessment of risk management effectiveness should be performed, both its design and operating effectiveness. Finally, attendees will review and discuss how the results of this assessment should be communicated to stakeholders.
Norman Marks, an Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Risk Management, will share his view that our perception and practice of risk management must undergo a radical shift if it is to be effective. He will share his thoughts on:
- Why are risk management programs failing? What are they missing?
- How can risk management contribute to organizations taking the right risks?
Participants will gain a solid understanding of the principles behind mature and effective risk management programs, together with the concepts and approaches necessary for an assessment of whether the program meets the needs of the organization.
Who will Benefit:
The course will cover essential material for any internal audit executive and is also relevant for auditors charged with understanding and assessing their organization’s risk management program. It will also be valuable for those individuals who are building their skills so they can move into an internal audit leadership role. The following job titles/ positions will benefit from attending:
- Chief Audit Executives
- Internal Audit Directors and Managers
- Internal Audit Seniors charged with auditing risk management
- Chief Risk Officers
- Heads of Market, Credit and Operational Risk
- Leaders within the Risk Office
- Board Members, especially Risk and Audit Committee Chairs and Members
- Chief Compliance Officers
- Bank Regulators and Examiners
- Risk Management Consultants
- Internal Audit Consultants
We are registered with and adhere to the Statement on Standards for Continuing Professional Education programs of the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. Our registration number is 109066. Please check with the governing body of your license and state for specific CPE requirements. Grievances may be forwarded to the company at Ph: 650 620 3961; email: email@example.com. Grievances may also be forwarded to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors-NASBA, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417, 615-880-4200, www.nasba.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.