Local Attractions of Newark, NJ
The Newark Museum, in Newark, Essex County, is the state's largest museum. It holds fine collections of American art, decorative arts, contemporary art, and art from Asia, Africa, the Americas, and the ancient world. Its extensive collections of American art include works by Hiram Powers, Thomas Cole, John Singer Sargent, Albert Bierstadt, Frederick Church, Childe Hassam, Mary Cassatt, Edward Hopper, Georgia O'Keeffe, Joseph Stella, Tony Smith and Frank Stella. The Newark Museum's Tibetan galleries are considered among the best in the world.
Prudential Center is a multi-purpose indoor arena in the central business district of Newark. Opened in 2007, it is the home of the National Hockey League's (NHL) New Jersey Devils and the NCAA's Seton Hall Pirates men's basketball team. The arena seats 16,592 patrons for hockey and 18,711 for basketball. Fans and sports writers have affectionately nicknamed the arena "The Rock" in reference to the Rock of Gibraltar, the corporate logo of Prudential Financial, a financial institution that owns the naming rights to the arena and is headquartered within walking distance. In December 2013, the arena ranked third nationally and ninth internationally for self-reported annual revenue.
Branch Brook Park:
Branch Brook Park is a county park of Essex County, located in the North Ward of Newark, between the neighborhoods of Forest Hill and Roseville. A portion of the park is also located within the Township of Belleville. At 360 acres, Branch Brook Park is the largest public park in the city of Newark. The park is noted for the largest collection of cherry blossom trees in the United States, with over 4,300 in more than fourteen different varieties collectively called Cherryblossomland, as well as its spectacular Cherry Blossom Festival each April. The festival attracts approximately 10,000 visitors each April.
Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Newark, New Jersey:
The Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the fifth-largest cathedral in North America, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. It is located at 89 Ridge Street in the Lower Broadway neighborhood of Newark, New Jersey. Envisioned as a fitting monument to the faith, construction began in 1899 and was finished in 1954. which includes 154 ranks playable from two consoles.